Re: Bug in v1.8.4 - AutoCompletion vs running query

From: "Horvath Gabor" <dueyduey(at)freemail(dot)hu>
To: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Bug in v1.8.4 - AutoCompletion vs running query
Date: 2008-08-21 14:55:23
Lists: pgadmin-support

>> If I use autocompletion while a query started from the same edit
>> window is already running, the whole application freezes until the
>> query is finished, and a message appears in the message page reading:
>> ********** Error **********
>> The query gets committed, its results remain.

[...]
> For now, I've disabled editing of the text altogether whilst a query
> is running. I can't think of any particularly compelling use cases for
> allowing that, but I'm open arguments.

Well, I definitely was editing the file while the query was running,
and I very often do, which, at least for me, is a strong argument for
not disabling it altogether ;-) (It's really a choice between a messy
lot of windows with parallel-running queries vs. a perspicuous single
sql file (with editing while querying), which choice should be made by
the user depending on their taste and the actual problem they are to
solve, I guess).

Is it so much more difficult to disable just the Autocompletion
feature while a query is already running? I have been editing
already-querying text for quite a while and this is the only really
annoying issue I encountered since the fix enabling running parallel
queries in separate windows.

> There are other potential issues here - for example, error markers can
> end up in the wrong place.
Well, I don't think anyone would blame the app for that. If I change
the text, I don't expect the error markers to appear in the right
place.
So I think it's safe to just disable Autocompletion until the query returns.
If it's impossible, here are a few features I would rather keep
together with the bug than lose while getting rid of the bug:
* selecting and copying text while a query is running (so that I can
do the editing in another window)
* saving the file while a query is running
* saving the history while a query is running
* opening another Edit Window while a query is running

I cannot build from source and I could not find a built executable of
the head revision so far, so I cannot check whether "disabling editing
of the text altogether" disables any of these, but if it does, I would
prefer the bug.

Regards,