Re: beginner: what permissions required to install on windows 2000+

From: "Harald Armin Massa" <haraldarminmassa(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Dee <devlists(dot)email(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: beginner: what permissions required to install on windows 2000+
Date: 2008-03-01 14:42:29
Lists: pgsql-general

Dee,

> What are the permissions required to install postgres as a service on
> windows 2000/2003? I have followed the instructions, as I understand them,
> but the program will not install.
>
> It either fails with "The application failed to initialize properly
> (0xc0000022). Click on OK to terminate the application." or "Invalid
> username specified: A required privlege is not held by the client".

1.) you should prefer windows 2003 for your first PostgreSQL install
on windows. Installation on Windows 2000 is a lot more challenging.
BTW: main stream support for 2000 by Microsoft ended on 2005-06-30, so
unless you have contracts with MS for extended support...

2.) please be very carefull about the different permissions for
"INSTALLING" and "RUNNING" PostgreSQL on windows

To install PostgreSQL on windows you need permissions to:
- install software
- create a service
- change permissions on files / directories

To RUN PostgreSQL as a service on windows your serivce user needs
"LOGON_AS_SERVICE" privilege.

the usual install:
-> logon as Administrator
-> run the installer
-> the installer creates the windows-user postgres, per default for
the local machine, and adds the LOGON_AS_SERVICE privilege to the user

So, to drill down to your problem:
a) when did you get this error? During installation? That would point
more to problems with wrong version of installer, broken MSI-files....

--- if on running the service:
a) what user is the service configured to use to log on?
b) what policies are in effect on that user? Please be aware that a
lot of defaul policies do take away the "LOGON_AS_SERVICE" privilege
c) whats within the log files?

Harald
--
GHUM Harald Massa