Re: Can we convert from Postgres to Oracle !!???

From: "Harald Armin Massa" <haraldarminmassa(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Sandeep Kumar Jakkaraju" <sandeepkumar(dot)jakkaraju(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Can we convert from Postgres to Oracle !!???
Date: 2006-10-17 13:22:49
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-novice pgsql-sql

Sandeep Kumar,

> Can we convert from Postgres to Oracle !!???

technically: partial. Oracle supports most of the bleeding edge
enterprise features of PostgreSQL. There are some limits however, esp.
concerning inheritance, arbitrary length text fields and especially
the missing support for pl/python, pl/pgsql and pl/perl. You might be
able to replace those advanced features of PostgreSQL using PL/SQL.
There are external database development tools available for Oracle if
you need to match the functionality of PostgreSQLs integrated clients
psql and pgAdmin III.

support-wise: please ask your Oracle authorized support contract
consultant to find out which Oracle support plan gives you a support
comparable to the PostgreSQL one with the possibility to directly
correspond with the database core architects and developers as well as
unlimited access to the applications source code.

economically: not enough information to give a fitting answer. But if
you need a high cash burn rate to attract certain kinds of investors,
Oracle will propably make that easier.

Best wishes,

Harald
--