Dropping a type

From: Steve Erickson <serickson(at)digitiliti(dot)com>
To: "pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Dropping a type
Date: 2011-09-21 14:04:21
Lists: pgadmin-support
I'm using pgAdmin 1.12.3 on Mac OSx.  I have functions that use a Type rowtype to hold the results of a query.  When I change the query to add/remove columns, I also change the Type, then do a drop, then create, and get a success message.  However, I then need to drop and create all dependent objects, including functions.  If I don't, users will get an error.  Refreshing the database in pgAdmin shows the type has indeed changed, but users will still get an error until I drop and create the affected object (function).

Earlier versions of pgAdmin would give an error when dropping a Type, letting me know what objects were dependent on that Type.  I would then do the drop with cascade, then create the function(s) affected.

pgadmin-support by date