Re: [HACKERS] Trouble with COPY IN

From: James William Pye <lists(at)jwp(dot)name>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Matthew Wakeling <matthew(at)flymine(dot)org>, Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>, Maciek Sakrejda <msakrejda(at)truviso(dot)com>, Samuel Gendler <sgendler(at)ideasculptor(dot)com>, pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Trouble with COPY IN
Date: 2010-07-25 02:03:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-jdbc

On Jul 23, 2010, at 7:11 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
> I can't help thinking that the JDBC driver must be being overly cute
> if this breaks it ...

I was wondering the same thing when I first saw Kris' message. However, iff I understand what JDBC is trying to achieve, I don't think I would call it "overly".

@Kris

Is this a problem because JDBC is trying to detect failures as early as possible during a COPY IN?
Or, is it just JDBC's normal MO to always be reading?

Well, I've wanted to do the former (early error detection) with py-postgresql's COPY support, and I imagine getting a read event marking completion prior to emitting done/fail could be a snag.

cheers, jwp