Re: pg_start_backup - backups

From: "David Roland" <david(dot)roland(at)soapware(dot)com>
To: "Ian Lea" <ian(dot)lea(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_start_backup - backups
Date: 2011-04-08 18:29:07
Lists: pgsql-admin

First of all, thanks so much for the reply. To be clear, as stated in my
original post, if a user is interacting with the PostgreSQL database,
changes to the data folder continue even after the PG_START_BACKUP
command has been issued. This implies to me that the contents of any
copy of the data folder may be unreliable. i.e. the copy may not reflect
the state of the data folder either before the copy started or after the
copy has finished. It may reflect the state of the data folder in some
transient form. Assuming this is true, is the copy still usable for
restoration? If so, how does PostgreSQL get the data folder to a stable
state? Is it by the use of the WAL files that may be created during the
backup process and the restore.config file?