Re: Accessing database statistics

From: "Duncan Adams (DNS)" <duncan(dot)adams(at)vcontractor(dot)co(dot)za>
To: "'Tony Griffiths(RA)'" <griffitt(at)cs(dot)man(dot)ac(dot)uk>, pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Accessing database statistics
Date: 2002-05-30 12:36:51
Lists: pgsql-novice

o yes i forgot u could try to see

EXPLAIN select count(*) from <table>;

but i still think tom is u'r best bet for this.

Ok, this all depends on how postgresql does this query. If it (behind
the scenes) does a call to a system table which holds a field for the
count of each table then fine - nice and efficient. However if this does
a scan of the appropriate table and counts the number of tuples then
returns this figure, then this is a really expensive operation, and I
need this to be fast.

Tony