Database & Data Infrastructure Administrator

From: Ashley Moran <work(at)ashleymoran(dot)me(dot)uk>
To: pgsql-jobs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Database & Data Infrastructure Administrator
Date: 2007-05-04 16:28:58
Lists: pgsql-jobs
Codeweavers Ltd  <http://www.codeweavers.net> is a web development
company based in Stoke-on-Trent, UK.

Job description below, also available here: <http://
www.opensourcexperts.com/Jobs/viewjob.html?id=411>

We are also recruiting for a separate Senior Unix Administrator if
anyone is interested: <http://www.opensourcexperts.com/Jobs/
viewjob.html?id=412> (not copied below)

Please e-mail enquiries to roland(at)codeweavers(dot)net and copy
ashley(dot)moran(at)codeweavers(dot)net

*****

Database & Data Infrastructure Administrator - full time, £25-35k

We are looking to recruit an experienced (min 3 years) database
administrator to support our developers.  We need someone with a
solid theoretical understanding of relational databases, along with
the necessary practical experience of tuning and administration.

You will also find that a good understanding of Unix-type systems is
pretty essential, as most of our key data is processed on FreeBSD
systems.  However, you will have the support of other team members
and you will not be required to work as a Unix administrator.

Experience with the systems we use is desirable but not absolutely
essential.

Your duties:
• Manage PostgreSQL and SQL Server installations
• Take responsibility for the quality of our databases.  We want our
developers to focus on business logic and user interaction, so you
will be required to assist in developing databases and reviewing work
done on them by developers.
• Automate data import and transformation tasks.  Data imports are
key to our business, and it's critical that these operations are robust.

Technical skills required:
• PostgreSQL administration.  You must be able to tune a Postgres
installation for consistent performance.
• Unix administration (preferably FreeBSD).  We are recruiting a
Senior Unix/Network Administrator who will be available to support
you on this.
• Experience managing business data.  Most of the work you will do
will require some understanding of the business behind our data.

Personal skills required:
• Good time management and prioritisation.
• High standards.  We want someone who takes pride in the integrity
of our systems and data.
• Forward-thinking.  We need someone who can identify weaknesses in
our infrastructure, recommend appropriate solutions and fix them
seamlessly before they cause us problems.
• Good communication skills.  You will have to work with most people
in our team, as databases are so fundamental to what we do.  You must
be enthusiastic about offering advice and ad-hoc training.
• Understanding of the needs of others.

pgsql-jobs by date

Next:From: Gavin M. RoyDate: 2007-05-07 16:12:43