Re: [Slony1-general] WAL partition overloaded--by autovacuum?

From: Richard Yen <richyen(at)iparadigms(dot)com>
To: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
Cc: "Robert Haas" <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Scott Marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>, <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [Slony1-general] WAL partition overloaded--by autovacuum?
Date: 2010-07-08 20:06:34
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Jul 8, 2010, at 12:50 PM, Kevin Grittner wrote:

> Richard Yen <richyen(at)iparadigms(dot)com> wrote:
>
>> there were moments where 129 WAL files were generated in one
>> minute. Is it plausible that this autovacuum could be responsible
>> for this?
>
> I don't remember seeing your autovacuum and vacuum config settings,
> or an answer to my question about whether there was a bulk load of a
> significant portion of current data. With agressive autovacuum
> settings, hitting the freeze threshold for bulk-loaded data could do
> that.

Yeah, autovacuum is pretty aggressive, as I recall:
autovacuum = on
log_autovacuum_min_duration = 0
autovacuum_max_workers = 8
autovacuum_naptime = 1min
autovacuum_vacuum_threshold = 400
autovacuum_analyze_threshold = 200
autovacuum_vacuum_scale_factor = 0.2
autovacuum_analyze_scale_factor = 0.1
autovacuum_freeze_max_age = 200000000
autovacuum_vacuum_cost_delay = 0
autovacuum_vacuum_cost_limit = -1

vacuum_cost_delay = 0
vacuum_cost_limit = 200

When you say "bulk-loaded," I suppose that also includes loading the data via slony ADD NODE as well--correct? I created this node maybe 6 months ago via slony ADD NODE

Thanks much for your time,
--Richard