Re: bulk inserts

From: Dave Huber <DHuber(at)letourneautechnologies(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: bulk inserts
Date: 2009-09-29 14:31:58
Lists: pgsql-general

All I have to say is wow! COPY works sooo much faster than the iterative method I was using. Even after having to read the entire binary file and reformat the data into the binary format that postgres needs it is an order of magnitude faster than using a prepared INSERT. At least that's what my prelim testing is showing me. I will have to let it run for a while with a larger table to see how it performs in the longrun, but initially this is very positive.

Thanks, guys!

Dave

This electronic mail message is intended exclusively for the individual(s) or entity to which it is addressed. This message, together with any attachment, is confidential and may contain privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, printing, retaining, copying, disclosure or distribution is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please immediately advise the sender by reply email message to the sender and delete all copies of this message.
THIS E-MAIL IS NOT AN OFFER OR ACCEPTANCE: Notwithstanding the Uniform Electronic Transactions Act or any other law of similar import, absent an express statement to the contrary contained in this e-mail, neither this e-mail nor any attachments are an offer or acceptance to enter into a contract, and are not intended to bind the sender, LeTourneau Technologies, Inc., or any of its subsidiaries, affiliates, or any other person or entity.
WARNING: Although the company has taken reasonable precautions to ensure no viruses are present in this email, the company cannot accept responsibility for any loss or damage arising from the use of this email or attachments.