Re: Latest cygwin always crashing with Postgres

From: s0lao(at)netscape(dot)net (S(dot) L(dot))
To: srubin(at)thoughtprocess(dot)com (Seth Rubin), pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org (Pgsql-Cygwin)
Subject: Re: Latest cygwin always crashing with Postgres
Date: 2003-02-12 07:39:16
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

Seth,

[...]
>"Owner" (which is my username). It only finds databases named "template1"
>and "template0". Could this be a problem with initdb? I.e. was initdb
>supposed to store a database matching my username?
[...]

Oh, actually it's not a problem with initdb, it just creates template1 and template0 databases _owned_ by "Owner" user. It's not supposed to store a "Owner" database. The trick is that if you just "psql [-D /path/to/datadir]" then psql tries to connect to a database that matches your username. Usually the syntax for psql is "psql [options] <database>". But the crashing of the postmaster when not finding a database is not usual.

Recalling this thread I saw you always passed simply "pgdata" to "-D " option (either initdb, postmaster or whatever). It's not a good habit. A full pathname is the recommended approach, i.e. not "-D pgdata", but "-D /your/path/to/pgdata". A better approach is to set the PGDATA variable to this path.

SLao