Re: Quad Xeon or Quad Opteron?

From: "Reid Thompson" <Reid(dot)Thompson(at)ateb(dot)com>
To: "Andrzej Zawadzki" <zawadaa(at)wp(dot)pl>,<pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Quad Xeon or Quad Opteron?
Date: 2008-05-23 12:50:23
Lists: pgsql-performance
This may be of interest...

http://weblog.infoworld.com/yager/archives/2008/05/ahead_of_the_cu_4.html

-----Original Message-----
From: pgsql-performance-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org on behalf of Andrzej Zawadzki
Sent: Fri 5/23/2008 6:41 AM
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: [PERFORM] Quad Xeon or Quad Opteron?

Hello,

 We're planning new production server for PostgreSQL and I'm wondering
which processor (or even platform) will be better: Quad Xeon or Quad
Opteron (for example SUN now has a new offer Sun Fire X4440 x64).

When I was buying my last database server, then SUN v40z was a really
very good choice (Intel's base server was slower). This v40z still works
pretty good but I need one more.

AFAIK Intel made some changes in chipset but... is this better then AMD
HyperTransport and Direct Connect Architecture from database point of
view? How about L3 cache - is this important for performance?

Do You have any opinions? Suggestions?

Thanks,

Best regards

--