Re: [Cert] Re: PostgreSQL Certification

From: Hans-Juergen Schoenig <postgres(at)cybertec(dot)at>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, cert(at)lists(dot)postgresqlcertification(dot)org, greg(at)tcscs(dot)com, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org, "Greg Smith" <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
Subject: Re: [Cert] Re: PostgreSQL Certification
Date: 2008-02-04 17:15:03
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-general

On Feb 4, 2008, at 4:32 PM, Dave Page wrote:

> On Feb 4, 2008 3:20 PM, Hans-Juergen Schoenig
> <postgres(at)cybertec(dot)at> wrote:
>> how can we determine which companies are certified from the
>> beginning?
>> i think it makes no sense to push redhat, for instance, through a
>> certification process as they have tom and some others :).
>
> I'm not sure if they actually do have any others, but having Tom
> certainly doesn't mean that RedHats' support staff (who may have no
> idea who Tom is) have any clue about what they are doing.
>
> /D

you are absolutely true ...
what i am trying to point out is the following: imagine simon riggs
or yourself. you are definitely guys who should be allowed to certify
people.
so, somehow we have to "flag" people like you to allow them to issue
certifications ...

i would suggest that individual or companies who have contributed
codes to the postgresql backend (or other major pg project like
pgadmin, dbi-link or whatever) should have some "gold" status and
that only those people are actually allowed to certify other people.
this would help us to make sure that we don't have too many
"wonnabies" around and we can ensure top quality.
i would suggest the policy: "if you want to certify people, send us a
patch proving that you know how pg really works". this would give the
entire thing a really professional look and it would be a very
straight and easy rule.
if we don't ensure top quality, the entire thing is worthless. if
every half-professional is allowed to certify, we can already stop
before we start.

most guys on this list here have written one or the other patch in
the past so it should be fine ...
how about that?

many thanks,

hans