Re: New to PostgreSQL, performance considerations

From: Guido Neitzer <lists(at)event-s(dot)net>
To: Ron <rjpeace(at)earthlink(dot)net>
Cc: Postgresql Performance list <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: New to PostgreSQL, performance considerations
Date: 2006-12-13 19:59:31
Lists: pgsql-performance

On 13.12.2006, at 19:03, Ron wrote:

> What I find interesting is that so far Guido's C2D Mac laptop has
> gotten the highest values by far in this set of experiments, and no
> one else is even close.

This might be the case because I have tested with fsync=off as my
internal harddrive would be a limiting factor and the results
wouldn't be really helpful. Perhaps it's still the IO system, I don't
know. I can try to reproduce the tests as close as possible again.
Perhaps I had different settings on something but I doubt that.

The new Core * CPUs from Intel are extremely fast with PostgreSQL.

> Anyone got a 2.33 GHz C2D box with a decent HD IO subsystem more
> representative of a typical DB server hooked up to it?

I have also now an Xserve with two Dual-Core Xeons and two SAS drives
(15k Seagates) in a mirrored RAID here. Will do some testing tomorrow.

Btw: I always compare only to my own results to have something
comparable - same test, same scripts, same db version, same operating
system and so on. The rest is just pure interest.

cug