Re: auto fill the missing numbers

From: Richard Broersma Jr <rabroersma(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Greg Nissen <gnissen(at)geicp(dot)com>, pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: auto fill the missing numbers
Date: 2007-01-10 01:54:15
Lists: pgsql-odbc
> ms access already had some 57000 transaction loaded into the old database,
> when i linked to postgres using the ODBC driver, all these transaction came
> over, as excepted, but when i create a new record now, the database is
> filling in all the missing numbers prior to 57000, which jumbles up my
> record table. How can i get the postgres database to start off from 57001

I assume that by transaction you mean record I assume that you are using serial or big serial as
the autonumber for your new postgresql tables.

1) you need to determine the table_sequence name that was created for you table.
2) change the table_sequence value to one greater than the values already stored in the table from

The function you need it setval()

you can use setval() useing the psql client utility to postgresql.

Richard Broersma Jr.