Re: More "IpcMemoryCreate: shmget failed" errors

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Sean Kelly <S(dot)Kelly(at)newcastle(dot)ac(dot)uk>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: More "IpcMemoryCreate: shmget failed" errors
Date: 2000-06-16 18:03:00
Lists: pgsql-bugs
Sean Kelly <S(dot)Kelly(at)newcastle(dot)ac(dot)uk> writes:
> 	Any suggestions?  Is there a way that v7 could check for these old
> segments from v6 and remove them?  Is this even the problem here?  Any
> other ways to clear these suspected old segments at all?

Have you done any actual investigation --- like looked at the output
of ipcs -m -a to see whether there are old segments lying around?

The ipcclean script is not very bright, and in particular I doubt it
knows about all the formats that different platforms' versions of
ipcs produce.  So it may just be failing to recognize what has to be
removed.

The "Permission denied" error suggests that you may be trying to run
Postgres under a different userid than you were before.  If so, you'll
have to delete the old segments as that other user, or as root.