Re: COPY insert performance

From: Jeff Trout <threshar(at)torgo(dot)978(dot)org>
To: Chris Isaacson <cisaacson(at)tradebotsystems(dot)com>
Cc: "John A Meinel" <john(at)arbash-meinel(dot)com>,<pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: COPY insert performance
Date: 2005-07-26 14:22:57
Lists: pgsql-performance
On Jul 26, 2005, at 8:15 AM, Chris Isaacson wrote:

> I am using InnoDB with MySQL which appears to enforce true transaction
> support.  (http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/innodb-overview.html)  If
> not, how is InnoDB "cheating"?

are you sure your tables are innodb?
chances are high unless you explcitly stated "type = innodb" when
creating that they are myisam.

look at "show table status" output to verify.

> I've played with the checkpoint_segments.  I noticed an enormous
> improvement increasing from the default to 40, but neglible
> improvement
> thereafter.  Do you have a recommendation for a value?

there's been a thread on -hackers recently about checkpoint issues..
in a nut shell there isn't much to do.  But I'd say give bizgres a
try if you're going to be continually loading huge amounts of data.

--
Jeff Trout <jeff(at)jefftrout(dot)com>
http://www.jefftrout.com/