Re: accidental drop table recoverable?

From: Paul Libbrecht <paul(at)activemath(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: accidental drop table recoverable?
Date: 2008-07-14 15:29:08
Lists: pgsql-admin

Le 14-juil.-08 à 16:47, Tom Lane a écrit :

> You can't really "rollback" a DROP TABLE --- that corresponds directly
> to a filesystem remove() call, and no amount of fooling around with
> the
> database state will undo that.

That is dark.
I read yesterday night that actually a vacuum was advised everyday
since otherwise there was no actual deletion. So you are telling me
that, however, drop-table does really go to deletion right away?

I'm running 7.4.5 btw.

> If you have filesystem tools that will resurrect the deleted files for
> you, you could probably put them back into the database. My
> inclination
> would be not to try to "roll back" anything, but create new tables
> with
> the identical column sets to the old ones (but no indexes)

this can be done easily.
But the filesystem resurrect I am doubting of. I'll hunt.

thanks!

paul

> and then rename the recovered files into place to match the new
> tables'
> relfilenode values.
> After which, a dump and reload would be prudent to
> make sure everything's really kosher. (Actually, copying the data
> into
> newly created tables should be enough for that.)

sure!