Re: syslog_line_prefix

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com
Cc: Itagaki Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: syslog_line_prefix
Date: 2009-09-25 19:19:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> On Mon, 2009-09-14 at 09:43 +0900, Itagaki Takahiro wrote:
>> We have a tip that log_line_prefix is not required for syslog
>> in the documentation, but we'd better to have independent setttings
>> if we set log_destination to 'stderr, syslog'.

> IMO we should just make log_line_prefix work with syslog/eventlog too.

It *does* work with syslog.  You missed the point, which is that because
syslog sticks on timestamp and PID information of its own accord, you'd
typically want a different prefix setting for syslog than for stderr.

However, I don't think I actually believe the premise of this patch,
which is that sending log information to both stderr and syslog is
a useful thing to do --- so useful that it's worth greatly complicating
the elog stuff to support it a trifle better.  Given the amount of
whining we hear about the overhead of logging, who is going to want
duplicate output?  And especially, who is going to want elog.c to do
twice as much work to format the log output differently for the two
destinations?