Re: recommended benchmarks

From: "Bucky Jordan" <bjordan(at)lumeta(dot)com>
To: "Brad Nicholson" <bnichols(at)ca(dot)afilias(dot)info>,"Charles Sprickman" <spork(at)bway(dot)net>
Cc: <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: recommended benchmarks
Date: 2006-09-22 21:18:24
Lists: pgsql-performance
> On Fri, 2006-09-22 at 13:14 -0400, Charles Sprickman wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I still have an dual dual-core opteron box with a 3Ware 9550SX-12
> sitting
> > here and I need to start getting it ready for production.  I also
> > send back one processor since we were mistakenly sent two. Before I
> > that, I would like to record some stats for posterity and post to
> list
> > so that others can see how this particular hardware performs.
> >
> > It looks to be more than adequate for our needs...
> >
> > What are the standard benchmarks that people here use for comparison
> > purposes?  I know all benchmarks are flawed in some way, but I'd at
> least
> > like to measure with the same tools that folks here generally use to
> > ballpark figure.
> Check out the OSDL stuff.
> /
> Brad.

Let me know what tests you end up using and how difficult they are to
setup/run- I have a dell 2950 (2 dual core woodcrest) that I could
probably run the same tests on. I'm looking into DBT2 (OLTP, similar to
TPC-C) to start with, then probably DBT-3 since it's more OLAP style
(and more like the application I'll be dealing with).

What specific hardware are you testing? (CPU, RAM, raid setup, etc?)

- Bucky