.bat file to access postgreSQL command line from C:\ Dos prompt

From: Philippe Salama <karebacnyc(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL Admin <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: .bat file to access postgreSQL command line from C:\ Dos prompt
Date: 2006-12-09 01:00:35
Lists: pgsql-admin

Thanks for your help! And thanks to your help, I was able to figure out the following, as a psql.bat file on drive C:

cd program files
cd postgreSQL
cd 8.1
cd bin
psql -U postgres template1

I could not figure out how to make a path work in the .bat file if there is a space in PROGRAM FILES. But it words if I just to a CD to each directory.

I have a paperback on PostgreSQL in which most of the exercises use the command line prompt. Although I have found admin programs that allow me to access PostgreSQL nicely, I want to learn about the command line.

I also have a 1984 book on SQL by Lantimes, and I put all the exercise tables int o MySQL. Then, I exported the tables to an SQL script, and modified the script so that it would run in PostgreSQL. If anyone is interested, I can provide that script.

I would also like to go through the some of Joe Celko's books, like SQL for Smarties, and I plan to put the test tables into PostgreSQL and also MySQL.

But if anyone has any test tables from SQL instruction books, let me know.

I will be happy to share what I have with others if there is some interest.

I feel that if the test data for such SQL exercises is made available on the Internet, then it will encourage more people to learn SQL.