Re: still memory leaks with libpgtcl

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: ljb <lbayuk(at)mindspring(dot)com>, g(dot)hintermayer(at)inode(dot)at
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: still memory leaks with libpgtcl
Date: 2003-01-08 04:23:38
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

ljb <lbayuk(at)mindspring(dot)com> writes:
> This patch is
> seriously ugly and 'highly suspect', and I am NOT suggesting this be
> included in the PostgreSQL release. Really. But it works. Maybe.

What we really need to do is reel in a Tcl guru to look at this.
I think that there is a Tcl bug here somewhere; even if not, we seem
to need someone who knows the Tcl library inside-and-out to tell us
what we're doing wrong.

I don't have the time or interest to pursue this with the Tcl community,
but perhaps one of you can do it?

> -#ifdef NOT_USED
> #if TCL_MAJOR_VERSION >= 8
> - if (connid->notifier_channel != NULL)
> + if (connid->notifier_channel != NULL && interp != NULL)
> Tcl_UnregisterChannel(NULL, connid->notifier_channel);
> #endif
> -#endif

Cool solution if it works --- but I'll not accept it unless someone can
explain to me *why* it fixes the problem, and preferably just where in
the Tcl documentation this is promised to be a correct solution...