Transactions not idle but "idle in transaction" since 7.4 and JDBC 7.4.213

From: Christian van der Leeden <lists(at)logicunited(dot)com>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Transactions not idle but "idle in transaction" since 7.4 and JDBC 7.4.213
Date: 2004-06-04 07:54:56
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Hi,

I've upgraded the postgres system to 7.4.2 recently and switched
the JDBC driver to 7.4.213. Now all my transactions are always
"idle in transaction" instead of "idle" (when doing ps -U postgres).
I'm using WebObjects, which will set setAutocommit(true) while doing
selects and just setAutocommit(false) when doing insert/updates.

Is the autocommit feature now implemented in the JDBC adaptor (and not
on the server side)? I couldn't find the logic of doing rollback/commits
on the client side after each expression in AbstractJdbc1Connection.java
(which comes with 7.4.2 distribution).

I'm guessing that transactions being idle in transaction could be the
cause
of my problem, that postgres is eating away virtual memory (on OSX10.3),
and I'd like to try to get all selects commited or rolled back...

Thanks

Christian

Christian van der Leeden
Software Engineering

Attachment Content-Type Size
Christian van der Leeden.vcf text/directory 532 bytes