Re: CREATE RULE ignored, what did I do wrong

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: andrew(at)pillette(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: CREATE RULE ignored, what did I do wrong
Date: 2004-09-11 06:42:23
Lists: pgsql-sql
andrew(at)pillette(dot)com writes:
> Foreign-key constraints:
>     "$1" FOREIGN KEY (smoothing_id) REFERENCES smoothing_algorithm(smoothing_id) ON UPDATE CASCADE ON DELETE CASCADE
> Rules:
>     del_smoothed_rank_episode AS ON DELETE TO smoothed_rank_episode
> WHERE (NOT old.is_deleted) DO INSTEAD ...

The DELETE commands generated by the foreign key ON DELETE CASCADE will
get rewritten by your ON DELETE rule.  You probably do not want to do
this; or at least not make it an INSTEAD rule.

There has been some debate in the past about whether rules should be
able to break foreign-key constraints, but I tend to class it as a
"you should know what you're doing" feature.  Preventing this kind
of error would inevitably result in a serious reduction of the power
of the rule feature.