Re: upgrade from postgres 7.3.2

From: "Vishal Kashyap (at) [SaiHertz]" <vishalonlist(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: sarlav kumar <sarlavk(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: upgrade from postgres 7.3.2
Date: 2004-11-17 13:48:09
Lists: pgsql-novice
Sarlav ,

> I am new to postgres.

Welcome to the  most powerfull Database system.

> I am looking to upgrade to 7.4.x. Is the upgrade necessary?

Your upgrade to 7.4.x would be worth in many terms as 7.4. has many
performance enhancements also if your app uses subquery then 7.4 is advisable.

>If so, which is
> the most stable version to upgrade to?

7.4.5

> We have more than 300 tables with lot of data to be backed up and restored.
> It would be nice if someone could give the steps to upgrade from 7.3.2 to
> one of the latest stable version.

1. Backup everything make a file system bacup of the PostgreSQL
database (plz make sutre to shut down PostgreSQL before doing this)
2. Backup data.
3. Backup Schema
4. Install 7.4.5 give database path diffrent
5. Initdb the database (This is required as you are upgrading to a
major version)
6. Restore schema in new system
7. Restore database
8. Run PostgreSQL make sure you append the $PGDATA

Now you are on PostgreSQL 7.4.5
If something goes wrong.
Reinstall PostgreSQL 7.3.2
Restore your filesyatem backup.