Re: patch for parallel pg_dump

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Joachim Wieland <joe(at)mcknight(dot)de>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: patch for parallel pg_dump
Date: 2012-01-29 17:00:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Joachim Wieland <joe(at)mcknight(dot)de> writes:
> I know that you took back some of your comments, but I'm with you
> here. Archive is allocated as an ArchiveHandle and then casted back to
> Archive*, so you always know that an Archive is an ArchiveHandle. I'm
> all for getting rid of Archive and just using ArchiveHandle throughout
> pg_dump which would get rid of these useless casts.

I'd like to see a more thoroughgoing look at the basic structure of
pg_dump. Everybody who's ever looked at that code has found it
confusing, with the possible exception of the original author who is
long gone from the project anyway. I don't know exactly what would make
it better, but the useless distinction between Archive and ArchiveHandle
seems like a minor annoyance, not the core disease.

Not that there'd be anything wrong with starting with that.