Windows 2K Installation difficulties...

From: "Neil Bibbins" <nbibbins(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Windows 2K Installation difficulties...
Date: 2007-01-25 16:53:41
Lists: pgsql-novicepgsql-sql
Hello,

I'm having difficulty installing PostgreSQL 8.2 on Windows 2000.  It gets
most of the way through the installation and fails (I think) after trying to
initialize the database.  The log message is:

The database cluster will be initialized with locale C.

 fixing permissions on existing directory C:/Program
Files/PostgreSQL/8.2/data ... ok
creating subdirectories ... ok
selecting default max_connections ... 10
selecting default shared_buffers/max_fsm_pages ... 400kB/20000
creating configuration files ... ok
creating template1 database in C:/Program Files/PostgreSQL/8.2/data/base/1
... Bad command or file name
could not write to child process: Invalid argument
Initdb: removing contents of data directory "C:/Program
Files/PostgreSQL/8.2.data

I have removed all virus software, although I hope to reinstall it after
installation.  (Can PostgresSQL really not run as an application with virus
protection installed? Ouch...)
I have tried deselecting the initialization box and initializing afterward,
but this also doesn't work.  Possibly I'm using the wrong command, which is
one that I found from a post from Magnus several years ago.

I have installed Cygwin, but this also didn't help.

Can anyone assist? I've done many forum searches but nothing seems to work.
I don't think I'm attempting the impossible!

Thanks for any insight.  Much appreciated.

pgsql-novice by date

Next:From: Brian NeuDate: 2007-01-25 17:06:25