Re: Hardware/OS recommendations for large databases ( 5TB)

From: "James Mello" <james(at)haydrian(dot)com>
To: "William Yu" <wyu(at)talisys(dot)com>, <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Hardware/OS recommendations for large databases ( 5TB)
Date: 2005-11-15 19:07:40
Lists: pgsql-performance

Unless there was a way to guarantee consistency, it would be hard at
best to make this work. Convergence on large data sets across boxes is
non-trivial, and diffing databases is difficult at best. Unless there
was some form of automated way to ensure consistency, going 8 ways into
separate boxes is *very* hard. I do suppose that if you have fancy
storage (EMC, Hitachi) you could do BCV or Shadow copies. But in terms
of commodity stuff, I'd have to agree with Merlin.