Re: Isolated databases or instances

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Scott Marlowe <smarlowe(at)g2switchworks(dot)com>
Cc: "Henry, Nigel, CYFD" <nigel(dot)henry(at)state(dot)nm(dot)us>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Isolated databases or instances
Date: 2007-02-16 21:16:08
Lists: pgsql-admin

Scott Marlowe <smarlowe(at)g2switchworks(dot)com> writes:
> On Fri, 2007-02-16 at 13:18, Henry, Nigel, CYFD wrote:
>> We are at the beginning of the building of a 3-tier
>> development/test/uat environment. We would like some advice on how
>> the PostgreSQL database should be configured for this environment.

> What exactly are you trying to accomplish with multiple PostgreSQL
> instances here? I can't see there being any great advantage to three
> separate instances than having three discrete databases defined in one
> instance.

Separating development and production instances seems perfectly sensible
to me. For instance, if your development code triggers a crash in
Postgres, you don't really want that event to take out your production
sessions. Also, you might want to run Postgres version x+1 for awhile
as development before replacing version x for production.