Re: [HACKERS] Stored procedure issue

From: Dragan Zubac <moroncic(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Dragan Zubac <moroncic(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Stored procedure issue
Date: 2007-12-03 12:16:02
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Hello

What I have noticed is that when I don't use procedure
at all,there's only 2-5 locks in pg_locks,after I
start application which uses stored procedure the
number in pg_locks increase rapidly to steady 75 even
to 130 at certain moments.

Any clue why procedure usage might increase locks so
heavily ?

Sincerely

--- Dragan Zubac <moroncic(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

> Hello
>
> I have a stored procedure which does the billing
> stuff
> in our system,it works ok,but if I put in
> production,where there is some 5-10 billing events
> per
> second,the whole database slows down. It won't even
> drop some test table,reindex,vacuum,things which
> were
> done before in the blink of an eye. If I stop the
> application which calls the procedure,all is back to
> normal.
>
> We didn't implement any special locking mechanism in
> the procedure,all is default. The procedure is
> updating user's balance in table 'users'. On the
> other
> hand a couple of 'heavy load' table has foreign keys
> pointing to table 'users'.
>
> Is it the matter of concurency and some locking
> issue
> or maybe the existing of all those foreign keys
> pointing to table 'users',or maybe something else
> which we're not aware at the moment ?
>
> Sincerely
>
> Pera

> Be a better sports nut! Let your teams follow you
> with Yahoo Mobile. Try it now.

> TIP 7: You can help support the PostgreSQL project
> by donating at
>

> http://www.postgresql.org/about/donate

Be a better friend, newshound, and