Re: PG Patch (fwd) [openserver patch followup #2]

From: Larry Rosenman <ler(at)lerctr(dot)org>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org, jkj(at)sco(dot)com
Subject: Re: PG Patch (fwd) [openserver patch followup #2]
Date: 2003-07-25 09:52:28
Lists: pgsql-patches

--On Friday, July 25, 2003 11:58:18 +0200 Peter Eisentraut
<peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net> wrote:

> Larry Rosenman writes:
>
>> I disagree STRONGLY with what you are saying here.  What harm does it do
>> to add the ABILITY for a port to use a ABSOLUTE DT_SONAME?
>
> We can discuss adding the ability, but I'm against enforcing it by
> default.
>
>> I belive that the issue is not broken systems, but broken practice.
>
> No, the issue is precisely that someone is proposing to break reasonable,
> useful practice to accomodate broken systems.  No one is claiming that
> absolute sonames make the system more featureful or useful.  In fact, it
> was admitted that it would have the reverse effect.  The only argument for
> absolute sonames that was brought forth was that some older systems have
> security holes that can be worked around in this manner.
For an example of ADDING to the usefulness, UnixWare has no ld.so.conf, or
ldconfig equivalent.  For ALL my PostgreSQL apps, I either need to specify
-R/usr/local/pgsql/lib
on the EXECUTABLE build, or make sure there is a GLOBAL LD_LIBRARY_PATH
environment
variable set.

The absolute DT_SONAME will fix that issue on THIS platform, which is why
the ABILITY
of an INDIVIDUAL port to set an absolute DT_SONAME would be useful.

LER

Phone: +1 972-414-9812                 E-Mail: ler(at)lerctr(dot)org