Re: Question about rtrees (overleft replacing left in nodes)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: William White <bwhite(at)frognet(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Question about rtrees (overleft replacing left in nodes)
Date: 2004-03-31 18:03:40
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-patches

William White <bwhite(at)frognet(dot)net> writes:
> Out of curiosity how many tuples are in that test? I wasn't able to
> invoke index scan with position operators even at 100K tuples.

Number of tuples doesn't matter --- I just forced the plan choice with
enable_seqscan = off. (Although I imagine that no failure would be
observed in very small tests --- you'd need enough entries to force the
rtree index to cover multiple pages.)

> Side question: is there a user contrib area for extensions? The path to
> this discovery started with a general interval "template class" to
> support any interval type (open, half-open, or closed) on any scalar
> data type (note: by "template class" read "C equivalent thereof using
> Gnu cpp ## macro construction kluges to create another C file with data
> types fileld in"). My original goal was [timestamp,timestamp) intervals
> (or (t,t) or [t,t] or whatever) but it works with any scalar that's
> internally numeric. Someone else might as well benefit from the
> frustrations I've had in figuring out how to handle operations on half-
> and fully-open empty intervals. :)

I could see accepting this as a contrib module, if you want to submit
it. Plan B would be to set up a project for it on gborg.postgresql.org,
but it seems tightly enough tied to the backend that maintenance would
be easier as a contrib item.