Re: Check constraints on partition parents only?

From: "David E(dot) Wheeler" <david(at)kineticode(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Nikhil Sontakke <nikhil(dot)sontakke(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Jerry Sievers <gsievers19(at)comcast(dot)net>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Check constraints on partition parents only?
Date: 2011-07-27 20:14:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Jul 27, 2011, at 1:08 PM, Tom Lane wrote:

> Yeah.  If we're going to allow this then we should just have a concept
> of a non-inherited constraint, full stop.  This might just be a matter
> of removing the error thrown in ATAddCheckConstraint, but I'd be worried
> about whether pg_dump will handle the case correctly, what happens when
> a new child is added later, etc etc.

Is this looking at the wrong problem? The reason I've wanted to get a parent check constraint not to fire in a child is because I'm using the parent/child relationship for partioning. Will this be relevant if/when an independent partitioning feature is added that does not rely on table inheritance?

Best,

David