Re: WAL archiving

From: "Dawid Kuroczko" <qnex42(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: WAL archiving
Date: 2008-02-25 01:02:17
Lists: pgsql-admin
On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 12:23 AM, Shilpa Sudhakar

<ssudhakar(at)internode(dot)com(dot)au> wrote:

>  Since the wal logs keep increasing, do we take the base backup every now
 >  and then so that we can delete the old log files?
 >  How often do we take a base filesystem backup keeping in mind that our
 >  systems are 24 x 7.

 Depends on your workload and needs.

 Say, if you have a policy on having ability to "go back in time" for
 at least 30 days, then
 you must keep last base backup that was done before 30 days and all
 the log files since
 then.

 But your primary concern should be probably recovery time after
 failure (your whole machine
 just fried ;)).  What you need to do is restore last backup and reply
 all archival WAL logs
 since then.  And assume worst possible situation (the machine fried
 just before full backup),
 for a weekly backups it means 7 days worth of WAL-log reply.

 Now, if your database is DML-heavy recovery won't be very fast, so you
 might want to take
 base backups more frequently.  Or better -- set up a standby server
 which will constantly
 reply the backups.

  Regards,
    Dawid Kuroczko

 PS: And before setting a policy, do try test recovery and note down
 how much time it took.