drupal.org MySQL database issues

From: "Dawid Kuroczko" <qnex42(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "PostgreSQL Advocacy" <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: drupal.org MySQL database issues
Date: 2007-05-17 22:09:04
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On 5/17/07, Joshua D. Drake <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com> wrote:
> Shashank Tripathi wrote:
> >
> > The MySQL team has personally paid a great deal of attention to make
> > sure their software works with Cpanel and Plesk. Therein lies the
> > "marketing" savvy that tge PgSQL group sits and watches in confused awe.
>
> Uhmmm no. Nobody is confused. You seem to think we are competing with
> MySQL. We are no more competing with MySQL than Oracle is.
>
> MySQL is fine for relatively small, high velocity sites where data
> integrity and high write concurrency is not an issue.
>
> PostgreSQL is all about high velocity write concurrency and data
> integrity. I can not count how many people have switched *from* MySQL to
> PostgreSQL because they outgrow MySQL.
>
> Except in maybe DW space, you generally will not outgrow PostgreSQL.
>
> Lastly, what people like you who make these comments seem to forget is
> that MySQL is a company, not a community, not an open source project.
>
> It is a commercial open source *product*, developed by a heavily funded
> private company (that is about to go public).
>
> That is just a tad different than PostgreSQL.

I agree. The problem is that when the company outgrows MySQL they
need a big fat hint that there is another way than buying Oracle/DB2 or
heavily modifying application to workaround MySQL. This is where
PostgreSQL has power, and all it takes is right person in right place and
a lot of patience and persistence. ;)

Regards,
Dawid

PS: Enterprise features, like online backups or online (concurrent) index
builds really help in this regard! So will HOT, hierarchical queries and
analytical functions.