Re: [IMPORTANT] - My application performance

From: Dawid Kuroczko <qnex42(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Roberto Germano Vieweg Neto <beto(dot)neto(at)pop(dot)com(dot)br>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [IMPORTANT] - My application performance
Date: 2005-07-27 07:28:00
Lists: pgsql-performance
On 7/26/05, Roberto Germano Vieweg Neto <beto(dot)neto(at)pop(dot)com(dot)br> wrote:
> My application is using Firebird 1.5.2
>
> My question is:
>
> Postgre SQL will be more faster than Firebird? How much (in percent)?
>
> I need about 20% to 50% more performance at my application.
> Can I get this migratin to postgresql ?

The answer is: maybe.  There's nothing which stops PostgreSQL from
being faster, and likewise there is nothing that stops it from being
slower.  YMMV.

Your route should be:
 * migrate most speed-demanding part to PostgreSQL
 * benchmark it, trying to emulate real-world load.
 * if it is slower than Firebird, post it here, together with EXPLAIN ANALYZEs
   and ask if there's something you can do to speed it up.

   Regards,
      Dawid