Re: Tablespace-level Block Size Definitions

From: Dawid Kuroczko <qnex42(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Tablespace-level Block Size Definitions
Date: 2005-06-01 12:00:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 6/1/05, Zeugswetter Andreas DAZ SD <ZeugswetterA(at)spardat(dot)at> wrote:
> You could create a separate bufferpool per page size. Of course that
> has other disadvantages.
>
> Is it really so difficult to create and attach another shmem segment ?

Well, I don't think it is much different from having two database clusters,
each with different block size. Hmm, perhaps it could be possible to
make them all available through one "virtual" DB host/port using
pg_pool even. :)

It shouldn't be too difficult to create benchmarks testing performance
of PostgreSQL under different block sizes, I guess. I wonder what
perfromance win is possible...

Regards,
Dawid