Re: US Patents vs Non-US software ...

From: Dawid Kuroczko <qnex42(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: US Patents vs Non-US software ...
Date: 2005-01-21 18:54:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 23:05:57 +0100, Reinoud van Leeuwen
<reinoud(dot)v(at)n(dot)leeuwen(dot)net> wrote:
> > Contrary to popular misconception, virtually all countries
> > grant software patents. The problem is that people have
>
> Thanks to the new European Union member Poland, the Dutch plan to put the
> software patents on the agenda 3 days before Christmas was revoked. So no
> software patents in Europe for now. (and the opposition against it seems
> to grow!)

Since Poland's name has been called, Poland is a sample of a Eurpean
country which does not grant software/algorithm/etc patents neither
directly nor in form of 'technological method' (our patent office is well,
very conservative institution :)).

As for the EU voting, it was the first time I was really glad that Poland
entered Union. Both ways. First that way that powers like USA cannot
force their way with patents on Poland, second that Poland give positive
input into EU.

Ahhh, politics, enough of it. Let's end this thread. ;)

Regards,
Dawid