Re: seg fault crashed the postmaster

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Gordon Shannon <gordo169(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: seg fault crashed the postmaster
Date: 2010-12-31 22:42:33
Lists: pgsql-general

Gordon Shannon <gordo169(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> I assume you can now see the plan? I uploaded it twice, once via gmail and
> once on Nabble.

Yeah, the Nabble one works. Now I'm even more confused, because the
whole-row var seems to be coming from the outside of the nestloop, which
is about the simplest possible case.

> The number of matching rows on these queries is anything from 0 to 10000. I
> don't think I can tell how many would have matched on the ones that
> crashed. Although I suspect it would have been toward the 10000 end. I've
> been trying to get a reproducable test case with no luck so far.

No luck here either. A couple further questions --- do you think it's
likely that you could have been over 10000 matches, ie, the LIMIT
actually kicked in? Also, could there have been more than two
concurrent updates acting on the same rows?