Re: Multiple DB join

From: Sumeet <asumeet(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Andrew Sullivan" <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Multiple DB join
Date: 2006-08-18 15:07:24
Lists: pgsql-sql

On 8/15/06, Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca> wrote:

> > I previously thought of doing the full text search indexing thing...but
> > had a intution that the full text search thing is for fields which have
> very
> > large strings.......but in my case the strings are not above 200 chars
> in
>
> No, it's for data where you're going to be searching in random pieces
> of the text. I think you should look at tsearch2, probably.

Will the full text search indexing help me achive a good speed in searching
keywords???

If you had any way to enforce bounded searches, it'd be a different
> matter: strings with initial matches but an unbound end are fast.
> (You can do it the other way, too, by some tricks with reversing the
> strings.)

can someone plz ellaborate a little about ways we can enforce bounded
searches?. I'm basically trying a simple search
i.e. trying to find name of authors user enters into a interface against the
20 miliions records in my db. Can anyone suggest a good way to perform this
kind of search ?.

Thanks,
Sumeet.