Re: Concatenating several rows

From: "Pierre Thibaudeau" <pierdeux(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Concatenating several rows
Date: 2007-01-30 04:10:20
Lists: pgsql-novice

Thank you, George and Phillip! I was trying something similar (doing
a cast) which wasn't working:

SELECT array_to_string( (SELECT name FROM pseudonyms WHERE
person_id=125)::array, ' ');

In the meantime, I wrote a little function to do the job, but your
solution is simpler:

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION persons.aggregatenames(personid integer)
RETURNS text AS
$BODY$declare
somerow record DEFAULT '';
thenames text;
BEGIN
FOR somerow IN SELECT name FROM pseudonyms WHERE person_id=personid LOOP
thenames := thenames || ' ' || somerow.name ;
END LOOP;
RETURN thenames;
END;$BODY$
LANGUAGE 'plpgsql' STABLE;