Re: database speed

From: "Chris Stokes" <ChrisS(at)BassSoftware(dot)com>
To: "Doug McNaught" <doug(at)mcnaught(dot)org>
Cc: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: database speed
Date: 2003-10-31 01:11:12
Lists: pgsql-general
>You should periodically be doing:

>a) VACUUM (at least once a day, probably) and
>b) REINDEX

>Are you doing both of these?  See the docs if you're not familiar with
>them.

>The REINDEX is needed because VACUUM doesn't free up index space in
>some circumstances.  7.4 (currently in late beta) will fix this.

Sorry Doug,

Yes I am doing a vacuum regularly - in fact, when the speed of the DB becomes slower, the vacuum takes longer and longer too.

I have never used the REINDEX

I wondered if it might be a row chaining issue of some sort ?!?

Chris

pgsql-general by date

Next:From: Doug McNaughtDate: 2003-10-31 01:20:52
Previous:From: Doug McNaughtDate: 2003-10-31 01:06:25