Re: Help

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Enzo Daddario <enzo(at)pienetworks(dot)com>
Cc: PGADMIN <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Help
Date: 2006-02-05 03:14:46
Lists: pgsql-admin

Enzo Daddario <enzo(at)pienetworks(dot)com> writes:
> I have just installed postgres 8.1.2 (upgrading from 7.4.2) and upon
> commencement of populating DBs with data dumped using pg_dumpall(7.4.2)
> I receive the following error:

> DELETE FROM pg_shadow WHERE usesysid <> (SELECT datdba FROM pg_database
> WHERE datname = 'template0');
> ERROR: cannot delete from a view
> HINT: You need an unconditional ON DELETE DO INSTEAD rule.
> DELETE FROM pg_group;
> ERROR: cannot delete from a view
> HINT: You need an unconditional ON DELETE DO INSTEAD rule.

These are to be expected if you try to restore a dump made with an old
version of pg_dumpall. If you don't see any other problems, just ignore
'em.

BTW, it's usually best to try to make the dump with the newer version of
pg_dump/pg_dumpall. This can be a pain in the neck though if you are
using a packaging system that wants to update all the PG executables at
the same time :-(