Re: [INTERFACES] 6.4.2 psql/libpq not returning after error

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: John Wright <juggler(at)oaktree(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] 6.4.2 psql/libpq not returning after error
Date: 1999-03-21 16:11:29
Lists: pgsql-interfaces
John Wright <juggler(at)oaktree(dot)co(dot)uk> writes:
> I've just installed postgres-6.4.2 after using 6.3.1 and I've noticed that
> when using psql and an error occurs psql locks up.
> SELECT 'XXX'::bool;
> will return an error using psql from 6.3.1 but will not return at all using
> the psql from 6.4.2.

It works for everyone else ... we could hardly have failed to notice
such an obvious problem ;-)

Are you perhaps trying to use a 6.4.x psql with a 6.3.x backend?  (The
older postmaster should've refused such a connection in the first place,
however, so that doesn't seem likely.)  It sounds like the backend is
failing to fflush() out the last few characters of its response, but
I'm at a loss to understand why that would be happening only for you
and not all over the place.  You might try attaching to the backend
process and using gdb to see where it's sitting...

			regards, tom lane

pgsql-interfaces by date

Next:From: Peter T MountDate: 1999-03-21 17:44:40