Re: Can SCALE 6x resurrect LAPUG

From: Richard Broersma Jr <rabroersma(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Selena Deckelmann <selenamarie(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Advocacy For PostgreSQL <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Can SCALE 6x resurrect LAPUG
Date: 2007-12-13 20:32:04
Lists: lapugpgsql-advocacy
--- On Thu, 12/13/07, Selena Deckelmann <selenamarie(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> It's not premature to pick a date and place!  Do you
> have contact information for any of the other interested people?

I believe so,  I can check with the guys that I meet at the last SCALE.  How would I go about arranging for a place to meet at?

> The key for us was contacting the University, communicating
> through other open source and database user groups, and
> being consistent!

Did you contact the university to arrange facilities to meet in, or did you post fliers to generate student interest in the user group?

> We don't have that, but most of the user group leads
> watch and post to this mailing list. You can ask us
> questions any time!

I feel that a user group to be successful, the meetings would need to be meaningful for the attendees.  How one goes about adding meaning to a user group, I am not too sure.  But I would imagine that showing up for free pizza and a laptop with PostgreSQL installed probably wouldn't be enough hold long term interest.

> Also, some of my family is in LA - Alhambra - and I could
> come down and give a talk sometime for your group after SCALE.

Wow!, Thanks for offering the support.

> And if you're interested in creating a "user groups
> operating manual", I'd love to collaborate with you as
> LAPUG gets off the ground :)

Producing a operating manual would be something that I could do that would be a contribution to the community.  At the very least I would learn what is involved for a operating Postgresql users group.

Regards,
Richard Broersma Jr.