Re: controlling autovacuum during the day.

From: "John Lister" <john(dot)lister-ps(at)kickstone(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: controlling autovacuum during the day.
Date: 2008-12-17 14:28:07
Lists: pgsql-admin
> "John Lister" <john(dot)lister-ps(at)kickstone(dot)com> writes:
>> I'd like to use autovacuum to clean up the tables rather than schedule a
>> full vacuum with cron as it will be more selective/intelligent about what
>> gets cleaned. But is it possible to stop it running during peak/office
>> hours?
>
> No.  Instead, set the vacuum cost parameters to make it run slow enough
> to not interfere too much with your work.

Cheers for the quick reply. I've tweaked them quite a bit, but we have quite
a few heavily updated tables that i'd like vacuuming to keep them in check.
Unfortunately the autovacuum does a FULL vacuum every so often locking the
tables for quite a long time, i'd like to move these to the evening if
possible.

I guess the only option is to add the big tables to the pg_autovacuum table
and run a script to enable them in the evening?
I guess autovacuum picks up changes to the pg_autovacuum table...

Is a global flag something that could be added to a future release? Or is it
possible to get the autovacuum/db process to reload the config file while
running using pg_reload_conf() for example?