UUID functions - installation

From: "SMITH, Phillip \(external\)" <phillip(dot)smith(at)astrium(dot)eads(dot)net>
To: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: UUID functions - installation
Date: 2009-07-01 07:18:42
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi.

I need to use UUID generation functions within a database.

I have downloaded uuid-1.6.2.tar and unzipped.
Contained within is the folder pgsql which contains are four files:

1. Makefile
2 uuid.c
3. uuid.sql.in
4. uuid.txt

Reading the text file i am not clear how to install this functionality.
Can somone please help instruct me where to place these files and how to
install.

Regards

Phillip

Phillip Smith
Test and Software Group

Tel 023 9270 5346
Fax 023 9270 8674
e-mail phillip(dot)smith(at)astrium(dot)eads(dot)net

This email (including any attachments) may contain confidential
and/or privileged information or information otherwise protected
from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient, please
notify the sender immediately, do not copy this message or any
attachments and do not use it for any purpose or disclose its
content to any person, but delete this message and any attachments
from your system. Astrium disclaims any and all liability if this
email transmission was virus corrupted, altered or falsified.
-o-
Registered Office: