Re: Is my database now too big?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Darren Reed <darrenr+postgres(at)fastmail(dot)net>
Cc: Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Is my database now too big?
Date: 2007-10-16 02:04:31
Lists: pgsql-admin

Darren Reed <darrenr+postgres(at)fastmail(dot)net> writes:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Indeed. And there shouldn't even be anything in MessageContext until
>> the first client command has been received. Maybe you have something
>> in ~/.psqlrc that you haven't told us about?

> That's easy - I don't even have one of these files!

Then the behavior you showed is impossible ;-)

There is *something* that is completely broken about your machine,
and the rest of us really don't have enough context to tell what.
You haven't told us anything about the hardware or operating system,
or how you built or obtained the Postgres executables.

I don't think you should dismiss the possibility of a hardware problem,
especially since the failures aren't 100% reproducible (AFAICT from your
previous remarks). We've seen more than one case where Postgres
stressed a system more than anything else that was being run, and
thereby exposed hardware problems that didn't manifest otherwise.
For instance, a bit of bad RAM up near the end of physical memory might
not get used at all until Postgres starts eating up memory.

Another line of thought is that you built Postgres with a buggy compiler
and thereby got buggy executables. Have you tried running the PG
regression tests?