Re: non-root installation of Postgresql?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Terrence Brannon <blessed(at)sv-luka(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: non-root installation of Postgresql?
Date: 2002-05-02 14:36:54
Lists: pgsql-novice

Terrence Brannon <blessed(at)sv-luka(dot)org> writes:
> Hi, I used ./configure --prefix=/home/metaperl/install/pgsql to
> install postgres and then I did initdb and createdb and started the
> postmaster just fine.

> However, attempting to connect via psql is failing with this error
> message:

> urth:~/install/pgsql> ./bin/psql test metaperl
> psql: could not connect to server: No such file or directory
> Is the server running locally and accepting
> connections on Unix domain socket "/var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432"?

It looks to me like psql is looking for the socket in some other
directory than where the postmaster created it. Do you perhaps
have an environment variable set that would override the compiled-in
default location? (I think PGHOST=/var/run/postgresql would cause
the above behavior in psql, but AFAIR the postmaster does not pay any
attention to PGHOST.)