Re: Fwd: Default pg_autovacuum config glitches

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>
Cc: "Matthew T(dot) O'Connor" <matthew(at)zeut(dot)net>, Bruno Wolff III <bruno(at)wolff(dot)to>, 225680(at)bugs(dot)debian(dot)org, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Fwd: Default pg_autovacuum config glitches
Date: 2004-03-27 18:35:37
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone(dot)bigpanda(dot)com> writes:
> The postmaster's seems to have a section that does a null device open,
> dup2s and a close at the end of pmdaemonize in the 7.4 and 7.5 versions on
> my box:

Yes, and that behavior is exactly why we deprecate -S ... I don't think
that the autovacuum daemon should emulate it.

This is all moot though since we seem to have a consensus that the
autovac daemon will become a postmaster child in 7.5. There is
therefore no reason for it to worry about daemonizing itself.